2018-2019 Catalog & Student Handbook 
    Feb 24, 2024  
2018-2019 Catalog & Student Handbook [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Financial Assistance


Robeson Community College’s financial aid program exists to ensure that no qualified student will be denied the opportunity to continue his/her education because of economic disadvantages. Through a program of grants, scholarships, work-study positions, and part-time employment, the student enrolled at RCC is able to supplement his/her own resources and those of his/her family to complete a course of study. The Financial Aid Office firmly believes that the primary responsibility for financing the student’s education rests with the family.

The family is expected to contribute according to their income and assets just as the student is expected to share in this responsibility through savings, summer work, and part-time employment if necessary.

All federal aid programs require the assessment of financial need based on parental ability and/or student’s ability to contribute toward the educational expenses.

The student is the focus of the program in the Student Financial Aid Office. Every effort is made to be of genuine assistance in helping the student resolve his/her financial difficulties.

Robeson Community College accepts the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students can apply online at: www.fafsa.ed.gov [opens in a new tab].

Unofficial Withdrawal

An unofficial withdrawal is defined as a student who does not successfully complete any of their courses (receives all F grades or WF’s), stopped attending classes, and/or did not complete any course work as of the 60% point of the semester or summer term without officially withdrawing from the College, as required. An unofficial withdrawal may be required to repay up to 50% of the financial aid received for the term.

Students who never attend class will not have a balance, therefore no charges pertaining to student tuition and fees will exist on account.

Students who stop attending all of their classes are required to officially withdraw from the College.

Return of Title IV Policy

Return of Title IV

Return of Title IV (R2T4) is a federal regulation that defines the treatment of Federal Student Aid (Title IV) funds when a recipient of those funds cease to be enrolled prior to the end of a payment period or period of enrollment. R2T4 regulations require Robeson Community College to determine the earned and unearned Title IV aid a student has earned as of the date the student ceased attendance (withdrawal date). If the amount disbursed to the student is greater than the amount the student earned, unearned funds must be returned to the Department of Education (Dept. of Ed.). Monies returned to the Dept. of Ed. may result in a balance owed at Robeson Community College.

What This Means for Students

Balances owed to Robeson Community College must be repaid in order to receive a degree, diploma and/ or certificates as well as an official academic transcript. In addition, students with outstanding balances are not eligible to register for classes or to receive further Federal Student Aid funds until their accounts have been resolved. Furthermore, delinquent unpaid balances may be turned over to the NC Department of Revenue and/or a collection agency pursuant to State Law (G.S. 143-553).


Federal Pell Grant

Federal Pell Grant is a federal aid program providing funds to students enrolled at approved colleges, community and junior colleges, universities, vocational-technical schools, hospital schools of nursing, and other approved post-secondary educational institutions. Grants normally cover four years of undergraduate study and are intended to be the foundation of a student’s financial aid package. Federal Pell Grant is gift aid and no repayment is required.

Awards are based on demonstrated financial need which is determined by a national formula applied uniformly to all applicants. The level of Federal Pell Grant funding is determined by federal appropriations.

To complete a FAFSA, applicants must complete the online FAFSA application at www.fafsa.ed.gov [opens in a new tab].

Do not submit more than one application per school year.

The Federal Pell Grant Processing Center will email to the applicant, at the address listed on the form, a document called a “Student Aid Report”. The report determines need. Please note that you can receive the Federal Pell Grant for no more than 12 semesters or the equivalent (roughly six years). You’ll receive a notice if you’re getting close to your limit. If you have any questions, contact your financial aid office. In certain situations, an eligible student can receive up to 150 percent of his or her scheduled Pell Grant award for an award year.

For example, if you are eligible for a $2,000 Pell Grant for the award year, and are enrolled full-time for both the fall and spring semesters, you’ll likely receive $1,000 in the fall and $1,000 in the spring. However, under certain circumstances, you may be eligible to receive an additional $1,000 in the summer semester (resulting in your receiving 150% of your original award). You might hear this situation being referred to as “year-round Pell.”

For an applicant to receive any type of federal and/or state funds, students must complete all the verification and validation requirements. RCC must be listed as a school the applicant plans to attend. The college’s school code is: 008612.

Processed forms received by the Financial Aid Office before May 30 will be processed in time for the applicant to complete fall early registration. The applicant must not owe a refund for grants previously received for educational purposes. The applicant must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (see Academic Policies and Procedures ).

Need more information on Federal Student Aid?

You can get more information from Funding Your Education, published by the U.S. Department of Education. To get a free copy, write to:

Federal Student Aid Information Center
P.O. Box 84
Washington, DC 20044

The U.S. Department of Education also has a toll-free number to answer questions about Federal Student Aid Programs. The number is 1-800-4-FED AID (1-800-433-3243).

If you are hearing-impaired and have a TDD machine, you may call toll-free TDD 1-800-730-8913.

State Scholarships

North Carolina Community College Grant (NCCCG)

North Carolina Education Lottery Scholarship (NCELS)

Legal residents of North Carolina accepted for enrollment in an undergraduate program of study may apply.

These programs are administered through the NC State Education Assistance Authority by College Foundation, Inc. For more information visit College Foundation of North Carolina at www.CFNC.org [opens in a new tab].

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

Funds for this program are provided by the Federal Government. The awards are made by the Financial Aid Office to a limited number of students with financial need who without the grant would not be able to attend school. Federal SEOG funds are awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis to students based on need.

In order to be considered, the applicant must be an undergraduate student who has not previously received a bachelor’s degree.

To be eligible for a Federal SEOG, the student must be enrolled or accepted for enrollment on at least a half-time basis and making satisfactory progress in the course of study he or she is pursuing. The student must be a United States citizen or a permanent resident. Students must complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid at www.fafsa.ed.gov [opens in a new tab].


Federal Work-Study Program

The Federal Work-Study Program provides part-time jobs for students who have great financial need and who must earn part of their educational expenses. The Federal Government provides funds to educational institutions which in turn have jobs available for students. At RCC, students work in a variety of offices and departments with their work schedule built around their academic schedule. Students may work up to 20 hours weekly while attending class full-time. Eligibility is determined by enrollment and financial need. For more information, contact the Financial Aid Office.


Robeson Community College offers both need based and non-need based scholarships. Students who wish to apply for RCC Scholarships should contact the RCC Financial Aid Office.

Scholarships are provided by the following:

Wells Fargo Two scholarships @ $500 each
Sprint Telephone Two scholarships @ $550 each
Community College Grant Scholarships Awards and amount vary each semester
Duke Energy One scholarship @ $550