Campus Law Enforcement/Campus Security
The mission of Campus Security is to provide the safest educational environment possible for all faculty, staff, students and visitors at all of RCC’s campus locations.
Campus security is provided by uniformed officers of the Lumberton Police Department. While on duty at RCC these officers possess all powers of sworn police officers to make arrests for both felonies and misdemeanors and charge for infractions. Officers are on campus during most periods when students and visitors are present.
The Main Campus is located within the city limits of Lumberton and is under the jurisdiction of the Lumberton Police Department.
The one Pembroke facility at COMtech is under the jurisdiction of the Robeson County Sheriff’s Department and Eagle Security Services.
The EMT facility is not within city limits; and is under the jurisdiction of the Robeson County Sheriff’s Department.
Law Enforcement Support Agencies
NC State Bureau of Investigation
NC State Highway Patrol
Lumberton Police Department
Robeson County Sheriff’s Department
Pembroke Police Department
Access To Campus Facilities
All RCC Campus locations are open to faculty, staff, students and visitors during normal operating hours.
All persons, while on the premises, are expected and required to obey all federal, state, and local laws and ordinances, as well as college procedures governing appropriate conduct.
Persons in violation of the above will be subject to any action deemed appropriate by competent authority.
The following procedure will be followed for access to campus buildings:
Accessibility During Closed Hours
There will be no access to RCC’s buildings during the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m.
Access during other closed hours will be governed by the following procedures:
- Off-campus locations: Prior arrangements must be made and approved by the person responsible for these locations.
- Main Campus: Prior arrangements must be made with and approved by the Assistant Vice President, Director or other supervisor in charge of the building or facility. The Director of Security must be notified of the arrangements with times noted. The Security Guard or other such personnel on campus should be immediately located and notified upon arrival.
Students desiring access to any academic facility must be accompanied by a staff or faculty member. Two persons must be present at all times when using a facility such as a shop or laboratory where potential for injury exists.
Criminal Activity Reporting
Faculty/Staff/Students/Visitors: Known and suspected violations of Federal and North Carolina criminal laws will be reported to the College switchboard. The switchboard will notify the Director of Security or his or her designee in order that appropriate action may be initiated.
Note: In life threatening situations, staff and/or faculty members should immediately call 911 to summon appropriate Emergency Services.
Director of Security or his or her designee: will, upon notification of criminal activity:
- Involve (as necessary) the appropriate law enforcement support agency.
- Conduct necessary follow-up activities and file required documentation to the College administration.
Responsible Administrator(s): Will review campus crime reports with the Vice President for Business Services or designee to ensure that:
- The data required by the Crime Awareness and Campus Security Act is compiled and disseminated.
- Campus Crime prevention programs are followed with special emphasis placed on campus community involvement.
- The information flow stresses the necessity for individual awareness and that staff, faculty and students take some responsibility for their own personal safety.
Criminal Activity at Off-Campus Student Organization Sponsored Activities
Criminal incidents occurring off campus to students participating in a college function should be reported to the law enforcement agency having jurisdiction. The Assistant Vice President of Student Services and the Vice President for Business Services should be informed of the incident as soon as possible.