Aug 08, 2022
The Medical Sonography curriculum provides knowledge and clinical skills in the application of high frequency sound waves to image internal body structures.
Course work includes physics, cross-sectional anatomy, abdominal, introductory vascular, and obstetrical/gynecological sonography. Competencies are attained in identification of normal anatomy and pathological processes, use of equipment, fetal growth and development, integration of related imaging, and patient interaction skills.
Graduates of accredited programs may be eligible to take examinations in ultrasound physics and instrumentation and specialty examinations administered by the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers and find employment in clinics, physicians’ offices, mobile services, hospitals, and educational institutions.
Admission Requirements and Special Conditions
Admission into the Medical Sonography program is a competitive admission process. A minimum grade point average of (3.0) or higher is required in the general education/related courses.
- Detailed current information for interested applicants is located at www.robeson.edu/sono [opens in a new tab].
- Students must be able to fulfill all essential functions as outlined in the health sciences admission policy.
- Admission to all RCC Health Science programs is a competitive process. Applicants are evaluated based upon the following factors: Academic performance, professional/academic references and academic degrees. Competitive applicants are expected to attend a Medical Sonography Information Session.
- Applicants must have a GPA of (3.0) or greater in the Medical Sonography general education courses by the published deadline date for submitting completed program checklists to the Admissions Office. Applicants not meeting the cumulative GPA requirements will not be reviewed by the program area for admission. For Medical Sonography, the GPA calculation will be based upon grades earned in the following courses:
- Once an applicant has successfully satisfied required English, reading and mathematics entrance competencies, applicants are eligible to submit an application packet. The program checklist outlines the number of strategies applicants may follow to meet the required competencies.
- All transcripts must be on file in the Admissions Office in order for a student to be considered for admission.
- Provisionally accepted students must submit to a criminal background check, drug screening, national sex offender index, and medical review/screen to include physical examination and immunizations. All fees associated with the criminal background check, drug screen, national sex offender index, and medical review will be the responsibility of the student.
- Provisionally accepted students are required to complete two (2) shadowing days scheduled by Sonography faculty, as well as a Sonography Career Prep Course offered through the Continuing Education Department. Final acceptance is contingent upon evaluations from the shadowing experiences and assessments given during the prep course.
- Provisionally accepted students previously enrolled in any other Sonography programs must submit a letter from the Sonography Program Director of the former institution.
- It is the student’s responsibility to review all program materials, including the Sonography web site at www.robeson.edu/sono [opens in a new tab] and to stay current with the program requirements, policies and procedures.
Class Hours 8 | Lab Hours 8 | Clinical Hours 3 | Credit Hours 12
Class Hours 3 | Lab Hours 3 | Clinical Hours 15 | Credit Hours 9
Class Hours 8 | Lab Hours 3 | Clinical Hours 15 | Credit Hours 14
Class Hours 3 | Lab Hours 3 | Clinical Hours 24 | Credit Hours 12
Class Hours 0 | Lab Hours 0 | Clinical Hours 24 | Credit Hours 8
Class Hours 8 | Lab Hours 3 | Clinical Hours 0 | Credit Hours 9
Total Credit Hours 64 + 11 Prerequsites = 75
Additional Curriculum Notes
- Program Prerequisites:
Students admitted to the Sonography Program must successfully complete the following courses with a “C” or higher prior to enrolling in the first Sonography class:
- The Humanities/Fine Arts elective can be satisfied by completing one of the following: ART 111 , ENG 231 , ENG 232 , ENG 241 , ENG 242 , MUS 110 , MUS 112 , PHI 215 , PHI 240 , REL 211 , REL 212 . Students may not take an introductory foreign language to fulfill the Humanities/Fine Arts requirement.
3. The Social/Behavioral Science elective can be satisfied by completing one of the following: PSY 150 , SOC 210 , SOC 225 .