The Respiratory Therapy curriculum prepares individuals to function as Registered Respiratory Therapists and/ or Certified Respiratory Therapists. In these roles, individuals perform diagnostic testing, treatments, and management of patients with heart and lung diseases.
Students will master skills in patient assessment and treatment of cardiopulmonary diseases. These skills include life support, ventilation monitoring, drug administration, and treatment of patients of all ages in a variety of settings.
Graduates of accredited programs are eligible to take entry and advanced level examinations from the National Board of Respiratory Care.
Graduates may be employed in hospitals, clinics, education, industry, and home care.
Admission Requirements and Special Conditions
Admission into the Respiratory Therapy program is a competitive admission process. A minimum grade point average of 2.5 or higher is required in the general education courses.
Special Accreditation Status
The Respiratory Therapy program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC).
1248 Harwood Road
Bedford, TX 76021-4244
www.coarc.com [opens in a new tab]
- Detailed current information for interested applicants is located at www.robeson.edu/resp/ [opens in a new tab].
- Students must be able to fulfill all essential functions as outlined in the health sciences admission policy .
- Admission to all RCC Health Science programs is a competitive process. Applicants are evaluated based upon the following factors: Academic performance, professional/academic references and academic degrees. Competitive applicants are expected to attend a Respiratory Therapy Information Session.
- Applicants must have a GPA of 2.5 or greater in the respiratory therapy general education courses by the published deadline date for submitting complete program checklists to the Admissions Office. Applicants not meeting the cumulative GPA requirements will not be reviewed by the program area for admission. For the Respiratory Therapy program, the GPA calculation will be based upon grades earned in the following courses:
BIO 168 , BIO 169 ,CHM 131 & CHM 131A , ENG 111 , ENG 112 , MAT 110 ,
PSY 150 , Humanities/ Fine Arts - Elective .
- Once an applicant has successfully satisfied required English, reading and mathematics entrance competencies, applicants are eligible to submit an application packet. The program checklist outlines the number of strategies applicants may follow to meet the required competencies.
- All transcripts must be on file in the Admissions Office in order for a student to be considered for admission.
- Provisionally accepted students must submit to a criminal background check, drug screening and medical review/screen to include physical examination and immunizations. All fees associated with the criminal background check, drug screen and medical review will be the responsibility of the student.
- Provisionally accepted students previously enrolled in any other Respiratory Therapy programs must submit a letter from the Respiratory Therapy Program Director of the program.
- It is the student’s responsibility to review all program materials, including the respiratory therapy web site at www.robeson.edu/respiratory [opens in a new tab] and to stay current with the program requirements, policies and procedures.