2024-2025 Catalog and Student Handbook 
    Jul 22, 2024  
2024-2025 Catalog and Student Handbook

Scholarships & Other Financial Resources


Forgivable Education Loan for Service

Established by the North Carolina General Assembly in 2011, the Forgivable Education Loans for Service provides financial assistance to qualified students enrolled in an approved education program and committed to working in critical employment shortage professions in North Carolina. For the academic year, eligible degree programs may be found by clicking the link below. The North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority provides administration for the program.

For more information and to apply, visit the CFNC FELS website [opens in a new window], https://www.cfnc.org/FELS

Southeastern Regional Medical Center Loans

A limited number of loans are available to students enrolled in the Health Science Program through Southeastern Regional Medical Center. Students should contact the Financial Aid Office at RCC for specifics concerning these loans.

** Please Note: RCC does not participate in the Federal Student Loan Program

Other Financial Resources

Finish Line Grant

Finish Line Grants are grants of up to $1,000 awarded to community college students who are on the cusp of completing their education or training and are faced with an unanticipated financial hardship that may prevent them from doing so. Too often, financial emergencies—like unexpected healthcare costs, childcare expenses, or car breakdowns—prevent students from completing their programs. Finish Line Grants are awarded to eligible students facing these unforeseen challenges. Grants can be used for course materials, housing, medical needs, dependent care, or other financial hardships that students face through no fault of their own.


  • Up to $1,000, per student per semester
  • Must be in good academic standing as outlined by RCC policies (minimum of 2.0 GPA)
  • Must be a current student who has completed (or are enrolled in) at least 25% of their primary course of study
  • Must have a Social Security card


  • Rent assistance
  • Unexpected car repairs (must be enrolled for in-person classes)
  • Books & other course materials  (exam fees, etc.)
  • Utility bill (water, gas, and electric)
  • Childcare assistance
  • Bus passes (S.E.A.T.S)
  • Medical expenses
  • Internet services

All Curriculum certificate, diploma, and degree programs are eligible. Eligible Continuing Education courses are listed here: NCCareers.org Degrees and Certifications [opens in a new window]

To apply, complete the Finish Line Grant Student Application Packet [PDF image of form opens in a new tab] available in the Financial Aid Office.

Lumbee Regional Development Association (LRDA)

Funds are available for qualifying students from low-income families through LRDA. Visit the LRDA Office in Pembroke, NC, contact them at (910) 521-8602, or visit the LRDA website [opens in a new window]  http://www.lumbee.org/

Telamon Corporation

Funds are available for qualifying students from low-income families through Telamon. The student is paid a training allowance plus cost of tuition, fee, and books. Contact the Telamon Office in Lumberton, NC.

Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA)

Funds are available for displaced and/or dislocated workers. Contact your local WIA Office, Employment Security Commission or the RCC Financial Aid Office.

Veteran Services

Robeson Community College is proud to serve our military veterans, servicemembers, and their families. The Office of Veterans Services, located in the Military Affiliated Resource Center in Building 13, coordinates services to over 100 veterans, servicemembers, dependents, guardsmen, and reservists attending classes and receiving veterans’ educational benefits. This section of this publication is designed to explain some of those procedures. Veterans and military affiliated students utilizing veteran’s education benefits are urged to become completely knowledgeable of its contents.

It is important for each veteran or military affiliated students utilizing VA benefits to know how he/she is certified to the VA in order that he/she may carry the proper credit or contact hour load to receive the benefits he/she expects. Each type of certification will be explained below. The Veteran’s Certifying Official can answer specific certification questions.

In some cases, veterans or military affiliated students utilizing VA benefits may take electives, as required in their program of study, to meet the necessary credit or contact hour load required to be full-time. Veterans or military affiliated students utilizing VA benefits should see the Veteran’s School Certifying Official before the semester begins or during registration to ensure that they have the correct number of credit hours or contact hours.

Veterans or military affiliated students utilizing VA benefits receive a monthly benefit only after they have attended school for that month.

Veterans Educational Benefits

There are several educational programs for those service men and women once they leave the military and enter civilian life:

Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33)

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) helps you pay for school or job training. If you’ve served on active duty after September 10, 2001, you may qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33).

The Montgomery GI Bill® (Chapter 30)

The Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty (MGIB-AD) can help you pay for education and training programs. If you’ve served at least 2 years on active duty, find out if you qualify for the MGIB-AD program.

The Montgomery GI Bill® (Chapter 1606)

The Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) program offers up to 36 months of education and training benefits. If you’re a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps or Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard, or Air National Guard, you may be eligible for this benefit.

Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (Chapter 35)

Find out if you’re eligible for VA education benefits for dependents and survivors (also called Chapter 35 benefits). If you’re a dependent spouse or child—or the surviving spouse or child—of a Veteran, you may qualify for Chapter 35 benefits or job training through a GI Bill® program.

Disabled Veterans Assistance (Chapter 31)

If you have a service-connected disability that limits your ability to work or prevents you from working, the VA Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) program—also referred to as Chapter 31—can help. Find out if you’re eligible and how to apply for vocational rehabilitation benefits and services, like help exploring employment options and any required training needs. In some cases, your family members may also be eligible for certain benefits.

Benefits must be used within ten (10) years of date of discharge. A veteran’s total months of eligibility is determined by the total number of years of service.

Applying for VA educational benefits:

The Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) will notify the veteran student of eligibility for benefits. Students receiving VA educational benefits should provide a copy of their Certificate of Eligibility to RCC’s Veteran’s School Certifying Official (SCO) located in the Student Center, building 13, no later than the first day of the semester. Per Title 38 United States Code Section 3679 (e), any covered individual who is entitled to educational assistance under chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, or chapter 33, Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits are permitted to attend or participate in course of education during the period beginning on the date on which the individual provides to the educational institution a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance under chapter 31 or 33 (a “certificate of eligibility” can also include a “Statement of Benefits” obtained from the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) website or a VAF 28-1905 form for chapter 31 authorization purposes) and ending on the earlier of the following dates:

1. The date on which payment from VA is made to the institution.
2. 90 days after the date institution certified tuition and fees following the receipt of the certificate of eligibility.

Robeson Community College does not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or the requirement that a covered individual borrows additional funds, on any covered individual because of the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement funding from VA under chapter 31 or 33.

If you are eligible for VA benefits, you may apply online at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website [opens in a new tab] (https://www.va.gov/education/how-to-apply/) or contact the RCC Veteran’s School Certifying Official for the appropriate VA application form that is necessary to activate your benefits. 
2.SUBMIT DOCUMENTS to the RCC VA Certifying official
a. DD-214 (Veterans Only)
b. Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
c. Copy of NOBE (Notice of Basic Eligibility) (For Reservists Only)
Once fully accepted to the College and all transcripts are received and evaluated for credit, you must do the following:
a. Register for classes
b. Complete the Request for Certification of VA form (Must be completed every semester)
The VA School Certifying Official at Robeson Community College will submit Enrollment Certification as received, but no earlier than 120 days before the semester start date.

Certification of Attendance

Veterans who receive Chapter 30, 1606 or 1607 benefits must certify their attendance at the end of each month. Monthly certification is required and can be done online through the WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment) system at www.gibill.va.gov [opens in a new tab] or by phone at 1-877-823-2378. This process must be completed to initiate monthly payments.

Certification Categories for Veterans

Veterans or military affiliated students utilizing VA benefits enrolled in eligible programs of study are certified to the Veterans Administration on a credit hour basis. The VA requires a minimum of 12 credit hours for full-time benefits. Three-quarter time would be a minimum of 9 credit hours, and half-time would be a minimum of 6 credit hours. Less than 5 credit hours qualifies the veteran or military affiliated student only for tuition and fees.

Attention Veterans or Military Affiliated Students Utilizing VA Benefits: According to the Code of Federal Regulations, remedial courses may not be certified for payment if they are offered as independent study, distance/online learning, or hybrid course delivery. Each semester, Robeson Community College offers a selected number of remedial courses that a veteran or military affiliated student may enroll in that meets the eligibility requirements for payment.

Change of Program

There are occasions when a veteran or military affiliated student may complete a curriculum and enroll into another curriculum during the school year. When this happens, the veteran or military affiliated student should report to the Veteran’s School Certifying Official and complete VA form 22-1995 or 22-5495. Also, if he/she transfers to another school, the school to which he/she is transferring will assist in the completion of this form.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Satisfactory academic progress is the same for veterans or military affiliated students utilizing VA benefits and non-veterans. All students must maintain satisfactory academic progress as set by the RCC Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy located in the Financial Assistance [opens in a new tab]   section of the catalog. All students on suspension and/or academic probation are reported to the VA Office each semester. Veterans Affairs tutorial assistance is available if you are receiving VA educational assistance at the half-time or greater rate and have a deficiency in a subject making tutoring necessary, REAP (Reserve Educational Assistance Program) cannot use these services. Apply at http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/BA-22-1990t-ARE/pdf [opens in a new tab].

Records of Progress

Records of progress are kept by this institution on veteran or military affiliated student and non-veteran students alike. Progress records are available to students, veterans, and non-veterans alike, at the end of each scheduled term.

Student Status

If a veteran or military affiliated student increases or decreases his/her registered semester credit hours, VA form 22-1999B must be completed by the Veteran’s School Certifying Official. The veteran or military affiliated student must notify the Veteran’s School Certifying Official of all schedule changes.


The Veteran’s School Certifying Official must be notified immediately if a veteran or military affiliated student withdraws from school. The veteran or military affiliated student is responsible for this information reaching the Veteran Affairs Officer promptly.

Veterans or military affiliated students utilizing VA benefits who are terminated to the Veterans Administration for pay purposes for unsatisfactory progress and/or conduct must go through counseling before they can be reinstated for pay purposes.

Veterans or military affiliated students utilizing VA benefits who are terminated to the Veterans Administration due to absences during any part of the term may not be reinstated for pay purposes until the beginning of the next term unless there are extenuating circumstances causing the absences that are beyond the control of the veteran or military affiliated student. Veterans or military affiliated students utilizing VA benefits whose pay is terminated to the Veterans Administration because of unsatisfactory attendance, need not go through counseling to be reinstated at the beginning of the next term.

Other Veteran Resources

Robeson Community College is committed to serving our veteran and military affiliated students. The section below provides additional resources for our veterans, servicemembers, guardsmen, reservists, and their families.

Military Affiliated Resource Center (MARC)

The MARC Center is housed in the Student Center, building 13, and operates under the supervision of the Financial Aid & Veteran Services Office. The center will help support veterans, servicemembers, guardsmen, reservists, and military-affiliated students as they work to achieve their academic goals, providing information and resources available from local veteran organizations, the federal government, and the Veterans Crisis Line. It will be a safe place where veterans, servicemembers, and military-affiliated students can get away from distractions and focus on school work. 

VA Work Study Allowance Program

The Work Study Allowance Program offers an additional non-taxable allowance to students in return for performing VA-related activities.  It serves as a supplemental VA education benefit and often provides the additional funding that allows a student to pursue and accomplish educational goals. 

Work Study students earn an hourly wage equal to the federal minimum wage, or the state minimum wage, whichever is greater.

The earnings the student receives under this program is not considered as income and should not be mentioned as such. This is a supplement to VA Education Benefits.

Program Eligibility

To participate in the Work Study Allowance Program, the student must be receiving benefits under one of the following education programs:

•           Title 38, U.S.C., Chapter 30: The Montgomery GI Bill
•           Title 38, U.S.C., Chapter 31: Veteran Readiness and Employment
•           Title 38, U.S.C., Chapter 32: The Post-Vietnam Era Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program
•           Title 38, U.S.C., Chapter 33: The Post-9/11 GI Bill / Fry Scholarship
•           Title 38, U.S.C., Chapter 35: Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program
•           Title 10, U.S.C., Chapter 1606: The Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve
•           Edith N. Rogers STEM Scholarship

The student must be enrolled in and pursuing an approved college degree, vocational or professional program of education at a rate of 3/4 time or greater.

NOTE: Neither Federal employees nor students receiving VA education benefits, while participating in an internship program at a VA Facility, are eligible to participate in the Work Study Allowance Program simultaneously at a VA facility.


Robeson Community College’s Military Affiliated Resource Center (MARC) is an approved work site for the VA Work Study Allowance Program. To apply, please complete VA Form 22-8691, Application for Work Study Allowance, and submit it to the Financial Aid/Veterans Service Office for consideration. Positions are on a first come first serve basis as positions are limited. For more information about education benefits, please contact us via email at: VA@robeson.edu or contact the Military Affiliated Resource Center (MARC) at 910-272-3333.

Vocational Rehabilitation for Disabled Veterans

Veterans Vocational Rehabilitation is designed to provide all services and assistance necessary to enable veterans with service-connected disabilities to achieve maximum independence in daily living; to become employable; and to obtain and maintain suitable employment.

Basic entitlement is based on service-connected disability for which you are receiving, or could elect to receive, VA compensation; VA determines a need to overcome employment handicap or to improve your capacity for independent living; you were discharged from service under other than dishonorable conditions.

Periods of eligibility is up to twelve (12) years after date of notification of entitlement to VA compensation. Up to 48 months of rehabilitation and assistance may be authorized. Contact Veterans Affairs at http://www.va.gov/vaforms/formdetail.asp?FormNo=28-1900 [opens in a new tab] for an application.

Vocational Rehabilitation

Vocational Rehabilitation may provide educational assistance for individuals with physical, mental, emotional, or learning impairments. To be eligible for services, an individual must:

Be an individual with a disability. This is defined to mean that (a) the individual has a physical or mental impairment which for such individual constitutes or results in a substantial impediment to employment; and (b) the individual can benefit from Vocational Rehabilitation services in terms of an employment outcome; and
Require Vocational Rehabilitation services to prepare for, enter, engage in, or retain gainful employment.

Application Procedure: For more information on services or eligibility, contact your local Vocational Rehabilitation Office, or write to the NC Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Services, P.O. Box 26053, 803 Ruggles Drive, Raleigh, NC 27611- 6053 or call at (919) 733-3364. General information may be received from the Counseling and Career Center at Robeson Community College.

National Guard Tuition Assistance Program

The North Carolina National Guard Tuition Assistance Program (NCTAP) is available to any student who is an eligible member of the North Carolina National Guard and pays tuition/fees. Students who wish to use TAP must apply online at NCTAP [opens in a new window].

North Carolina War Orphan Program

The North Carolina War Orphan Program provides funds to institutions for the waiver of tuition for children of totally disabled or deceased North Carolina war veterans. Veterans must be 100 percent disabled and their disability does not necessarily have to be war related. For more information please visit the website at www.nc4vets.com/nc-programs [opens in a new tab].

North Carolina War Orphan Program

Soldiers on active duty are eligible for Tuition Assistance. The Tuition Assistance (TA) Program provides financial assistance for voluntary off-duty civilian education programs in support of a Soldier’s professional and personal self-development goals. TA is a Public Law that is implemented by Department of Defense (DoD) Directive and DoD Instruction, and all Soldiers (officers, warrant officers, enlisted) on active duty, Army National Guard and Army Reserve Soldiers on active duty (pursuant to U.S. Code Title 10 or Title 32), and TPU Soldiers are authorized to participate in the TA program.