2020-2021 Catalog and Student Handbook 
    May 18, 2021  
2020-2021 Catalog and Student Handbook

Scholarship Loans


Forgivable Education Loan for Service

Established by the North Carolina General Assembly in 2011, the Forgivable Education Loans for Service provides financial assistance to qualified students enrolled in an approved education program and committed to working in critical employment shortage professions in North Carolina. For the 2020-2021 academic year eligible degree programs may be found by clicking the link below. The North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority provides administration for the program.

For more information and to apply, visit the CFNC FELS website [opens in a new window], https://www.cfnc.org/FELS

Southeastern Regional Medical Center Loans

A limited number of loans are available to students enrolled in the Health Science Program through Southeastern Regional Medical Center. Students should contact the Financial Aid Office at RCC for specifics concerning these loans.

Other Programs

Dependents and Survivors Educational Assistance

Dependents and Survivors Program is a federal program that provides up to 45 months of educational benefits to children, wives, and widows of veterans who died or were permanently and totally disabled while serving in the Armed Forces. For application contact the Veterans Affairs Office in Student Services.

National Guard Tuition Assistance Program

Members of the North Carolina National Guard may be eligible to receive tuition assistance for attending RCC. Contact your local unit for information.

North Carolina War Orphan Program

The North Carolina War Orphan Program provides funds to institutions for the waiver of tuition for children of totally disabled or deceased North Carolina war veterans. Veterans must be 100 percent disabled and their disability does not necessarily have to be war related. For more information please visit the website at www.nc4vets.com/nc-programs [opens in a new tab]

Vocational Rehabilitation for Disabled Veterans

Veterans Vocational Rehabilitation is designed to provide all services and assistance necessary to enable veterans with service-connected disabilities to achieve maximum independence in daily living; to become employable; and to obtain and maintain suitable employment.

Basic entitlement is based on service connected disability for which you are receiving, or could elect to receive, VA compensation; VA determines a need to overcome employment handicap or to improve your capacity for independent living; you were discharged from service under other than dishonorable conditions.

Periods of eligibility is up to twelve (12) years after date of notification of entitlement to VA compensation. Up to 48 months of rehabilitation and assistance may be authorized. Contact Veterans Affairs at http://www.va.gov/vaforms/formdetail.asp?FormNo=28-1900 [opens in a new tab] for an application.

Vocational Rehabilitation

Vocational Rehabilitation may provide educational assistance for individuals with physical, mental, emotional, or learning impairments. To be eligible for services, an individual must:

  1. Be an individual with a disability. This is defined to mean that (a) the individual has a physical or mental impairment which for such individual constitutes or results in a substantial impediment to employment; and (b) the individual can benefit from Vocational Rehabilitation services in terms of an employment outcome; and
  2. Require Vocational Rehabilitation services to prepare for, enter, engage in, or retain gainful employment.

Application Procedure: For more information on services or eligibility, contact your local Vocational Rehabilitation Office, or write to the NC Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Services, P.O. Box 26053, 803 Ruggles Drive, Raleigh, NC 27611- 6053 or call at (919) 733-3364. General information may be received from the Counseling and Career Center at Robeson Community College.

Lumbee Regional Development Association (LRDA)

Funds are available for qualifying students from low-income families through LRDA. Visit the LRDA Office in Pembroke, NC, contact them at (910) 521-8602, or visit the LRDA website [opens in a new window]  http://www.lumbee.org/

Telamon Corporation

Funds are available for qualifying students from low-income families through Telamon. The student is paid a training allowance plus cost of tuition, fee, and books. Contact the Telamon Office in Lumberton, NC.

Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA)

Funds are available for displaced and/or dislocated workers. Contact your local WIA Office, Employment Security Commission or the RCC Financial Aid Office.

Veteran Services

For the Veteran Affairs Office to operate effectively, it is essential that each veteran/dependent becomes knowledgeable of certain operating procedures.

This section of this publication is designed to explain some of those procedures. Veterans are urged to become completely knowledgeable of its contents.

It is important for each veteran to know how he/she is certified to the VA in order that he/she may carry the proper credit or contact hour load to receive the benefits he/she expects. Each type of certification will be explained below. The Veteran Affairs Officer can answer specific certification questions.

In some cases, veterans/dependents may take electives to meet the necessary credit or contact hour load required to be full-time. Veterans/Dependents should see the Veteran Affairs Officer before the semester begins or during registration to ensure that they have the correct number of credit hours or contact hours.

Veterans/Dependents receive a monthly benefit only after they have attended school for that month.

Veterans Educational Benefits

There are several educational programs for those service men and women once they leave the military and enter civilian life:

Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)

The Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) helps you pay for school or job training. If you’ve served on active duty after September 10, 2001, you may qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33).

The Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30)

The Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (MGIB-AD) can help you pay for education and training programs. If you’ve served at least 2 years on active duty, find out if you qualify for the MGIB-AD program.

The Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 1606)

The Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) program offers up to 36 months of education and training benefits. If you’re a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps or Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard, or Air National Guard, you may be eligible for this benefit.

Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (Chapter 35)

Find out if you’re eligible for VA education benefits for dependents and survivors (also called Chapter 35 benefits). If you’re a dependent spouse or child—or the surviving spouse or child—of a Veteran, you may qualify for Chapter 35 benefits or job training through a GI Bill program.

Disabled Veterans Assistance (Chapter 31)

If you have a service-connected disability that limits your ability to work or prevents you from working, the VA Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) program—also referred to as Chapter 31—can help. Find out if you’re eligible and how to apply for vocational rehabilitation benefits and services, like help exploring employment options and any required training needs. In some cases, your family members may also be eligible for certain benefits.

Benefits must be used within ten (10) years of date of discharge. A veteran’s total months of eligibility is determined by the total number of years of service.

Certification of Attendance

Veterans who receive Chapter 30, 1606 or 1607 benefits must certify their attendance at the end of each month. Monthly certification is required and can be done online through the WAVE system at www.gibill.va.gov [opens in a new tab] or by phone at 1-877-823-2378. This process must be completed to initiate monthly payments.

Certification Categories for Veterans

Veterans/Dependents enrolled in eligible programs of study are certified to the Veterans Administration on a credit hour basis. The VA requires a minimum of 12 credit hours for full-time benefits. Three-quarter time would be a minimum of 9 credit hours, and half-time would be a minimum of 6 credit hours. Less than 5 credit hours qualifies the veteran/dependents only for tuition and fees.

Attention Veterans/Dependents: According to the Code of Federal Regulations, remedial courses may not be certified for payment if they are offered as independent study, distance/online learning, or hybrid course delivery. Each semester, Robeson Community College offers a selected number of remedial courses that a veteran student may enroll in that meets the eligibility requirements for payment. For more information, check with the Counseling and Career Services Office.

Change of Program

There are occasions when a veteran/dependent may complete a curriculum and enroll into another curriculum during the school year. When this happens, the veteran/dependent should report to the Veteran Affairs Office and complete VA form 22-1995 or 22-5495. Also, if he/she transfers to another school, the school to which he/she is transferring will assist in the completion of this form.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Satisfactory academic progress is the same for veterans/dependents and non-veterans. All students must maintain satisfactory academic progress as set by the policy of RCC. All students on warning and/or academic probation are reported to the VA Office each semester. Veterans Affairs tutorial assistance is available if you are receiving VA educational assistance at the half-time or greater rate and have a deficiency in a subject making tutoring necessary, REAP cannot use these services. Apply at http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/BA-22-1990t-ARE/pdf [opens in a new tab].

Records of Progress

Records of progress are kept by this institution on veteran/dependent and non-veteran students alike. Progress records are available to students, veterans, and non-veterans alike, at the end of each scheduled term.

Student Status

If a veteran/dependent increases or decreases his/her registered semester credit hours, VA form 22-1999B must be completed by the Veteran Affairs Officer. The veteran/dependent must notify the Veterans Affairs Officer of all schedule changes.


The Veteran Affairs Officer must be notified immediately if a veteran/dependent withdraws from school. The veteran/dependent is responsible for this information reaching the Veteran Affairs Officer promptly.

Veterans/Dependents who are terminated to the Veterans Administration for pay purposes for unsatisfactory progress and/or conduct must go through counseling before they can be reinstated for pay purposes.

Veterans/Dependents who are terminated to the Veterans Administration due to absences during any part of the term may not be reinstated for pay purposes until the beginning of the next term unless there are extenuating circumstances causing the absences that are beyond the control of the veteran/dependent. Veterans/Dependents whose pay is terminated to the Veterans Administration because of unsatisfactory attendance, need not go through counseling to be reinstated at the beginning of the next term.